Dalhousie, also known as the Little Switzerland of India, still holds the vintage charm of the Colonial era. The undulating natural landscapes covered by green forests and jeweled by mountain rivers are what you will find in this tourist location. Enjoy a pollution-free getaway in Dalhousie to unwind and rejuvenate yourself.
How to reach Dalhousie
Pathankot (84 km) is the nearest airport to Dalhousie. Small carrier flights can be accessed from Delhi Airport. Jammu (107 km) would be a better option to avail of flight services. By road, you can connect to this place from Delhi (590 km). Pathankot (86 km) is the nearest railway junction to avail of railroad services.
Best places to visit in Dalhousie
- Panchpula - It means five bridges in the local language. it has excellent picnic spots, waterfalls, and trekking trails.
- Khajjiar - This is a small town amidst the mountain ranges covered by green meadows and high-altitude forests. It is called the Mini Switzerland of India.
- Khajjiar Sanctuary - Kalatop Sanctuary is the ideal place to go closest to nature. Walk in the midst of mystic Himalayan jungles and listen to the cacophony of fauna.
- Dainkund Peak - This is the highest point of Dalhousie (2755 m above sea level). It has endless valleys and undulating hills covered with high-altitude trees.
- Chamera Lake - This is a man-made lake to supply water to Chamba Dam. River Ravi overflows in the monsoon and provides water to this reservoir.
Do’s and don’ts of traveling to Dalhousie
Do not litter anywhere in this location. Always carry your identity proof with you. Make sure you have sufficient cash with you. Carry woolen clothes as per the seasonal requirement. Always move in groups in secluded locations.
Major activities to do in Dalhousie
Panchpula waterfalls are a must-visit place. Enjoy boating in Chamera Lake. Go for a picnic in Khajjiar and enjoy the diverse topography. Hiking at Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary is breathtaking. Follow the trekking trails at Ganji Pahari.
Best time to visit Dalhousie
The best time to visit Dalhousie is in the months of March-June. If you want to witness snow here, make plans in the months of October-February.