Gangtok, the capital city of Sikkim, is one of the best places to visit during the summer season. Situated at a height of 1650 m above sea level, you will find soothing sunny weather and beautiful views. In fact, it is the hub to connect other locations in the state.
How to reach Gangtok
The nearest airport is Bagdogra (124 km). It is well connected with the rest of the cities. The nearest railway junction is New Jalpaiguri (117 km). The helicopter service can also be availed from Bagdogra to Gangtok. It takes only 20 minutes. You can connect to this capital city by road from Darjeeling, Siliguri, and New Jalpaiguri via National Highway 31A.
Best places to visit
- Nathula Pass - This pass connects Sikkim to Tibet at a height of 4310 m. Visiting this place will require a permit.
- MG Road - This is the heart of the capital city where you will find exclusive shops, beautiful hotels, and souvenir markets.
- Rumtek Monastery - It is just 24 km from Gangtok. It is a very sacred place for Buddhists.
- Tsomgo Lake - Locate just 35 km from Gangtok, this is a holy lake worshipped by the natives.
- Baba Mandir - This mandir has been built to commemorate Baba Harbhajan Singh, a soldier who died guarding the border.
- Himalayan Zoological Park - It is located in Bulbuley. This is the ideal place for wildlife admirers and kids.
Do’s and Don’ts of traveling to Gangtok
Carry sufficient cash when you are out for a location visit. Do not litter as it is a punishable offense. Stay in groups and do not wander at night in secluded locations. Smoking and drinking in public are prohibited. Do not touch the flowers and plants. Do not disturb the fauna.
Major activities to do in Gangtok
Enjoy a cable-car ride in Gangtok. You can also try mountain biking here. River rafting is also done in the foothills. Paragliding is also an option. Make sure you have contacted the authorized agencies only.
Best time to visit Gangtok
The best time to visit in the months of September-June. Avoid the rainy season as the roads become treacherous.