Nainital: The epitome of Himalayan lakes in a historic town
Enveloped by green forests and jeweled by lakes, Nainital is the best place to get away from scorching summer. You will come very close to nature and enjoy the fresh breezy mountain air in your lungs. At an elevation level of 2084 m, this is the ultimate place to be on a vacation. The beautiful Naini Lake will surely take your breath away.
How to reach Nainital
Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi is the closest air service point for international flights. Pantnagar Airport is for domestic airline service. A rented car or Volvo coaches can be hired to reach Nainital from Kathgodam and Delhi. Kathgodam (34 km) is the nearest railway station.
Best places to visit in Nainital
- Nainital Lake - This exquisite lake is one of the four water bodies in the Kumaun Hills and has been mentioned in many ancient scriptures.
- Snow View Point - This is a high point on the top of a hill. You will be taken by a cable car to watch snowcapped mountains.
- GB Pant High Altitude Zoo - This zoo is situated at a height of 2100 m above sea level. It displays exotic bird and animal species.
- Mall Road - A lake surrounded by mountains and beautiful buildings at the lakeside is what you can find in this place.
- Naina Peak - At a height of 2615 m, you will enjoy a bird-eye view of the town. Nanda Devi Peak and the Tibet border can be seen from this point.
Do’s and Don’ts of traveling to Nainital
Bring cash that you need on a tour. Maintain traffic rules while driving I the hilly roads. Taking over vehicles is strictly prohibited. Always have your identity cards and woolen clothes. Do not litter anywhere in the town.
Major activities to do in Nainital
Enjoy boating at Naini Lake. Witness the sunrise at Tiffin Top. Do not miss the ropeway ride here. Learn rock climbing in the institute in Nainital. Go for a safari in Jim Corbett National Park.
Suitable time to visit Nainital
The best time to visit Nainital is March-June for pleasant weather. For snowfall, visit during the months of November-February.